Monday, January 28, 2013

Mon Petit Chat

Today I held you for the last time
I remember still the first time
Standing in the mall courtyard
Mewling babies all about you
You yourself barely out of kittenhood
All the people gathered oohed and aahed
Over your pretty babies eyes and fur
While you stood there forlorn, forgotten.
Mon petit chat.

I held you for the last time this morning
Remembering the first few months
When we had brought you home
You hated indoor life, but we persevered
You were a fussy eater and even so
We kept you healthy and helped you grow
Mon petit chat

I held you for the last time on Monday
Warm blankets and my strong arms about you
Stroked your forehead and held your paws
Whispered to you how much you were loved
I cried silent tears that landed on your face
But even that was not enough to heal you
A love for your beauty and your grace
Was not enough to help you to hold on
Until my little girl could return to be there
She will cry and miss you so,
Mon petit chat

I held you for the last time this morning
Remembering the times after I had left
How I would see your sleekness
In the window perched upon the couch
Your Siamese look so inscrutable
Your eyes so blue perusing the passing world
Dear Shiraz, my little cat, I love you
Mon petit chat

No comments:

Post a Comment